Date: 2/25/18 7:11 am
From: Steve Seibel <sseibel999...>
Subject: Thousands of Sandhill Cranes near north end of Quivira NWR evening 2-24-2018
Near sunset 2-24 I spotted (and heard) many Sandhill Cranes near the
north end of Quivira NWR. I was parked near the "Pelican Pete" home
site on the east-west road at the north end of the refuge, looking
north and a bit east. Many more arrived in groups coming in from the
north as I watched, during the period from about 6PM to 6:30 PM. I'm
sure I saw at least 2000 total and maybe many more than that. At one
point many of them flew en masse south across the road, passing over
my head in the twilight, but later many or most returned back north
to land back near where I spotted the first ones. Cranes were still
in the air as it got too dark to see any more, around 7:10 or so, and
they were still vocalizing loudly when I left the area around 7:20.

Steve Seibel, Wichita .

For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to