Date: 2/24/18 3:55 pm
From: Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...>
Subject: [obol] Wednesday's Herring Spawn Event
The herring spawning event at the Yaquina Bay South Jetty last Wednesday
was awesome to watch. After receiving calls from Chuck Philo and Wayne
Hoffman I headed to the south jetty and was joined by Ram Papish. Later in
the morning activity slowed down, but after some time the missing sea lion
packs showed up and the action was on as they worked the herring pinned
them against the jetty. I watched in awe for more than 8 hours and took
waaaaay too many photos. There is no way to adequately represent the
sights, sounds, and smell of being there, but I posted some photos and
videos here any.

In one of the photos you can actually see the sea lice on a herring that’s
in a gulls mouth. The videos briefly show sea lions chasing herring.

Join us on Facebook!