Date: 2/24/18 12:44 pm
From: Larry Meade via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] NVBC at Riverbend Park in Fairfax County
Nine birders from the Northern Virginia Bird Club came out on a foggy damp day at Riverbend. We birded along the trail south of the visitor center. Fortunately, it was not too chilly and the fog eventually cleared enough so that we could see the nice diversity of waterfowl that was out on the Potomac River. Finding these birds was a process, however, as we first saw a few ducks near the shore, then more as the fog lifted a bit, and then eventually, the rest of the collection as the fog finally moved out. Highlights included Greater Scaup, Canvasbacks, all three Merganser species, American Wigeon, a pair of Wood Ducks, Horned Grebes, a Pied-billed Grebe, and lots of Buffleheads and Ring-necked Ducks. We also observed a Bald Eagle on a nest when we later explored the trail north of the visitor center.

Nest week we will be at Leesylvania Sate Park and everyone is welcome to join us.

Larry Meade
Merrifield, VA