Date: 2/24/18 11:40 am
From: Bryan Barmore via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Avocet at Grandview, Hampton
This morning my wife, Sharon Burton, and I birded Grandview Nature
Preserve in Hampton. The weather was warm and calm keeping the water
birds down, although we did have 5 red-throated loons and 5 common
loons. There was also a group of 7 brants out near Factory Point. For
shorebirds we only had the expected sanderlings and dunlin. The
highlight by far was a single avocet flying to the south right along the
beach. By far the best view we have ever had of one flying. From what I
can tell in eBird, they are very rare in the winter in Virginia outside
of Craney Island.

The non-avian highlight was a pair of harbor seals sunning themselves on
the old lighthouse rocks.

Bryan Barmore