Date: 2/24/18 6:16 am
From: William Rowe <rowemb45...>
Subject: Riverlands follow-up
Following up on David Becher's and Dave Haenni's reports, Riverlands
yesterday (Friday) was pretty much teeming with birds. There were thousands
of gulls resting in flocks on the exposed mud, among them 3 Lesser
Black-backs and an Iceland Gull. The mud expanse, with fish, attracted far
more eagles than there have been at RMBS all winter: I counted a
conservative 60 (including 50 in a single 180-degree sweep from the east
end of Riverlands Way).

Between Ellis Bay, Heron Pond, and Lincoln-Shields, I had 21 waterfowl
species, with roughly 7000 Snow Geese and also a very conservative 100
Ross's Geese. Horned Grebes are in, too (9). Even sparrows were more
numerous than earlier. My list is here:

A visit is strongly recommended while the gates are wide open.

Bill Rowe

St. Louis

ABA Birding Code of Ethics

Join us on Facebook!