Date: 2/23/18 10:28 am
From: Jim Felley <jdfelley...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Lincoln Monument birds, 2/23
It seems like a good day for ducks, so I took the opportunity to see what was on the Tidal Basin and in Constitution Gardens. Plenty, as it turned out.
Tidal Basin: A pair of Red-breasted mergansers, by the boat dock.
On the Potomac at the humpback bridge: A few pair of Lesser Scaup and a single pair of Ruddy ducks.
At Constitution Gardens: Lots of Canada geese and Ring-billed gulls, and a Double-crested Cormorant. As for ducks, in order of abundance:
Gadwalls, many pair
Mallards (Yes, fewer than the gadwalls)
Northern shovellers, more than a dozen
A few pair of Ring-necked ducks
2 pair of American wigeon.

I don't think I've ever seen so many gadwall in such a small area. Interestingly, I watched pairs defending their bond: a male chasing off another male (not unexpected) but then a female also chasing off an obstreperous male.
I could probably watch ducks all day.

Jim Felley
Gaithersburg, MD

To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group on the web at
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it here -

Join us on Facebook!