Date: 2/23/18 6:30 am
From: Rob Bielawski via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: Re: [Va-bird] possible Black Skimmer in Staunton
Hey Patti,

Inland records for Black Skimmer in Virginia are typically associated with
tropical cyclones moving over land and depositing birds into lakes & ponds
that became entrained within the eye as the circulation moved onshore.
eBird shows some interesting occurrences in the wake of Hurricane Isabel in
2003 & Hurricane Fran perhaps in 1996. Large bodies of water like Kerr
Reservoir, Sandy River Reservoir (I don't see any pins on Lake Anna, but
probably possible there too in such events). eBird map is here:

The Gold Book goes into more depth with sightings and does mention that all
Piedmont and Mountains & Valleys records were in associated with
inland-driven hurricanes.

Notably, there hasn't yet been a single record of Black Skimmer in Virginia
in 2018. The small population that typically rides out the winter near
Lynnhaven Inlet in Virginia Beach either departed ahead of the Jan 3/4
blizzard event, or they didn't survive it. This is the first year I can
remember there not being a single Jan/Feb report for the species in the
state. Our closest reports thus far in 2018 are in the middle Outer Banks,
though they're creeping closer to us along the coastline.

Seeing one unrelated to an ocean-to-inland low pressure system event so far
inland would be an exceptional report. If I were you, I'd drive around a
bit and try to find it... and try out that new phone's camera!

Rob Bielawski
Virginia Beach, VA