Date: 2/22/18 10:23 pm
From: Michael Hobbs <birdmarymoor...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Marymoor Park (Redmond, King Co.) 2018-02-22
Tweets – Brrrr. It was a frigid 22 degrees at 7am. Our saving graces were sunshine and a lack of wind. A dusting of snow made it a beautiful morning; pre-dawn was amazing too, with great scope view of Saturn and Jupiter again. The day slowly warmed to 32 degrees. Birds were somewhat scarce.

a.. Cackling Goose – huge flocks swirling overhead at 7:15; don’t know if any landed
b.. Ring-necked Duck – two in the slough below the weir; New for 2018
c.. Greater Scaup – two females in slough; only 4th week with scaup in 2018
d.. Cooper’s Hawk – one near 1st Dog Swim Beach, first in a month
e.. Red-tailed Hawk – notably numerous, probably at least 7
f.. Barn Owl – long looks at around 6:35 am from Viewing Mound
g.. Great Horned Owl – Matt heard one west of the windmill across the slough – First for 2018
h.. BARRED OWL – Matt saw one at east end of boardwalk, around 6am; First of 2018
i.. Hairy Woodpecker – close looks at female at start of boardwalk
j.. Pileated Woodpecker – one seen from Rowing Club dock
k.. Townsend’s Warbler – female near mansion area rest rooms – First of 2018
This is only our 8th record of BARRED OWL for Marymoor; dates of sightings are broadly scattered across the months.

For the day, we hit 50 species. I made a quick check of the lake afterwards, and added two more: a single HORNED GREBE, and our only BALD EAGLES of the day, for a revised total of 52 species.

For 2018, we added 4 to reach 79 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== <BirdMarymoor...>
Tweeters mailing list

Join us on Facebook!