Date: 2/22/18 6:56 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Ross's Goose and Greater White-fronted Geese in Barker, NY
Early this afternoon, Rachel Wilson and I decided to check the flooded cornfield on the corner of Townline Rd. and Johnson Creek Rd. in Barker, NY, which is also an eBird Hotspot called "Townline Rd. and Johnson Creek Rd., Barker (village)”. The flooded area in the western end of the field was extremely active with a total of 7 duck species, 4 goose species, and 1 swan species seen throughout the afternoon. When we arrived we immediately spotted an adult ROSS’S GOOSE that stood out from the flock of Canada Geese it was with. While we were there, we saw 3 TUNDRA SWANS morph into at least 109 as small flocks continued to pour in. Willie D’Anna later joined us and we managed to picked out a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE that eventually turned into a total of 7 by the time Willie had left. After Rachel and I left, Willie also picked out a CACKLING GOOSE amongst the Canadas. Duck species included American Wigeon, Northern Pintail, Gadwall, Wood Duck, Mallard, American Black Duck, and Ring-necked Duck. This area is best viewed from Townline Rd. which also happens to have a nice wide shoulder where you can safely pull off your vehicle. A scope is very helpful for some of the species identification, though you can still enjoy the show with only binoculars! I have included our eBird list which has some photos of the Ross’s and Greater White-fronted Geese and also a YouTube link to a video I made of the Tundra Swans. In the very beginning of the video you can also make out the Ross’s Goose swimming on the far left-hand side of the frame.

eBird checklist: <>
YouTube video: <>

About a half-mile south on Johnson Creek Rd. from this site is another flooded field on the west side of the road, where there were more Tundra Swans and some ducks, along with a large gull flock. Yesterday this area also had Redheads. It’s worth checking this area as well if you’re in the area.

Happy Birding!
Joel Strong
Appleton, NY
<joelstrong78...> <mailto:<joelstrong78...>