Date: 2/22/18 5:32 pm
From: Jim Danzenbaker <jdanzenbaker...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Black-crowned rosy-finch, Clark Co, WA

Re: Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch

The two Clark County, Ridgefield NWR River "S" Unit GRAY-CROWNED
ROSY-FINCHES were briefly seen flying low overhead at 1:45 this afternoon.
They were identified by body shape (stocky, short-tailed finches with
strong undulating flight). Further attempts to find them were
unsuccessful. As I waited to see them again (my first was a better view
desired view), I spoke to several individuals driving the auto tour loop
who said that they had seen the birds on their first trip around. Given
this information, the finches were probably in the area from at least
mid-morning onward. The location is the southeast corner of the auto tour
loop where the road straightens out towards the information kiosk (open
grassy field on the left and blackberry brambles and teasel on the right).
This is after leaving Rest Lake.

The discovery of this apparent second record for Clark County can be
attributed to a photographer who had photographed one bird some time during
the weekend and then, as things happen, a friend of a friend spoke of the
photos and eventually brought Lyn Topinka (Clark County birder) into the
loop by sharing the photo with her. She confirmed the identification and
got the word out. My guess is that the birds are still in this immediate
area since they were initially found last weekend. Thanks to the initial
photographer, Lyn Topinka, and Bob Flores for efforts leading to the
confirmation of this species.

Keep your eyes sand ears skyward.

Battle Ground, WA

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Bob <rflores_2...> wrote:

> Oops excitement got me gray-crowned rosy-finch
> Bob Flores
> Ridgefield, WA
> > On Feb 22, 2018, at 12:19, Bob <rflores_2...> wrote:
> >
> > There are two birds on River S Unit, Ridgefield NWR. The birds are along
> the tour route after Rest Lake where the tour route comes to the main dike
> that is covered with blackberries. Photos taken.
> >
> > Bob Flores
> > Ridgefield, WAPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
> > OBOL archives:
> > Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>
> >
> POST: Send your post to <obol...>
> OBOL archives: