Date: 2/21/18 7:39 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge sightings
Hi all,

Ducks, ducks, ducks at Kumpf Marsh this noon, as seen widely. Many Northern Pintail, American Wigeon and a smattering of Mallards and Gadwall. Also, two male Green-winged Teal at Kumpf.

I heard there were ten Tundra Swans at Cayuga early today, but they had left when I arrived. The resident eagles were present, setting up shop right in the nest. Still pretty well iced over there. Right across the street from Cayuga, 6 Hooded Mergansers were in the 2010 Black-bellied Whistling Duck spot.

Ringneck Marsh may host the refuge’s third Bald Eagle Nest site this spring! A pair of adults were there yesterday and previously as well. I saw a sizable flock of 51 Cedar Waxwings (no Bohemians) at Mallard Overlook while watching the eagle activity.

At home, Orleans County, our resident Screech Owl has started increasing its hooting in the late afternoons. Yeah, spring!

Celeste Morien