Date: 2/21/18 8:42 am
From: Kevin Lucas <vikingcove...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Early bird gets the ice worm
Swallows showed up early this year in Yakima County. It was snowing
yesterday afternoon while a Violet-green Swallow was trolling with ice
worms at the Poppoff Trail north pond. I first thought its tail had several
very long, white-tipped feathers. Looking at my photos at home, I realized
it was ice build-up -- yet another new thing to me, and a shocking reminder
how vulnerable out-of-season and out-of-place birds are. I also saw 5 Barn
Swallows and 6 more Violet-green. Mike Roper saw a couple of Tree Swallows
a short time earlier.

As usual, there are many intergrade Northern Flickers, Myrtle & Audubon's
& Myrtle x Audubon's Warblers (don't identify by call alone), plus the
Harris's and Red Fox Sparrows at the patch.

Good Birding,
Kevin Lucas
Selah, Yakima County, WA

Tweeters mailing list