Date: 2/21/18 8:14 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Geneseo Merlins
Merlins are back our neighborhood on Wadsworth St. They’ve shown up off and on through the winter, but the last we had seen of them was two or three weeks ago when they were being harassed by four or five crows (Last fall it was group of Blue Jays doing the harassing). This pair has been around since Monday - jus in time for the Backyard Bird Count weekend. We are hearing them morning and evening. This morning they were indulging in what looked like a bit of courtship on the tall spruce tree across the street from us - the same tree that Merlins nested in about five years ago, after evicting a pair of Crows from their nest. Yesterday I saw a Crow investigating the same tree. We’ll see what drama plays out this year; though I’m not looking forward to the toll on our neighborhood songbird population if the Merlins decide to stay.

Jim Kimball