Date: 2/20/18 10:05 pm
From: David Young via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Red necked Grebe - Potomac river , Riverbend Park
A RNGR was seen today 2/20 , in the area of Conn Island above Great Falls in Riverbend, there also was a Horned Grebe for nice comparisons. I saw the Burke Lake one yesterday and took the report for today's.
In the winter of 2003 we had unprecedented numbers of RNGRs show up in our area. practically any open water had one. Interesting that they didn't really start appearing until mid February that year. Wherever their hole in the Great Lakes was , it must have frozen over because they picked up and moved into the mid Atlantic . Some hung around until almost May going into breeding plumage. May be we will get a few more this year.

David Young