Date: 2/20/18 5:55 pm
From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack995...>
Subject: [texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.
Doing the bird census in a pouring down rain can be challenging but I am
not complaining because the rain was badly needed. When we started out
there were American Robins everywhere we looked. It is really hard to
estimate robins when they are flying every which way. There were still
around 700 Snow and Ross's Geese present. The gulls were not congregating
on the sandbars like they have been for the past week and we did not
located the rare Glaucous Gull. We once again found the flock of 11 Inca
Doves near a residence north of the refuge. At Goode we saw 83 American
Goldfinches in one tree. There are still a lot of Red-tailed Hawks and we
saw 21 including a Harlan's and a Krider's Red-tailed Hawk. We finished the
day with 76 species, not bad for a day with low visibility and so much rain.
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!