Date: 2/20/18 5:32 pm
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Four and Fourteen Hardy blackbirds; displaying Monongalia Woodcocks
I went to Hardy County today in weather that eventually reached 81 degrees!
That may be why I found virtually no waterbirds except those indicated
below. I did, however, find 4 species of blackbirds totaling 14 individuals.

Cunningham Lane north of Moorefield. The field at the farm just east of the
railroad tracks where Wilson's Snipe have been found many times was
partially flooded and a muddy mess due to the cattle. No snipe, but:

Red-tailed Hawk--1
Eastern Meadowlark--1 singing male
Red-winged Blackbird--3 males, with at least 1 singing

Brighton Park south of Moorefield:

Canada Goose--130 roosting on the far bank underneath the trees, many with
heads tucked in and many partially obscured by logs and tree trunks. If
there were any Cackling Geese there, I couldn't find them.
Common Merganser--2 females
Common Grackle--5 males
Brown-headed Cowbird--5 females

I also checked the following locations in the afternoon: Route 259 ponds
north of Lost City, Kimsey Run Lake, Parker Hollow Lake, and Hogueland Lane
west of Petersburg in Grant County. All were birdless.

I got home just in time to go out to Little Indian Creek Wildlife
Management Area west of Morgantown to see if the warm weather had spurred
American Woodcocks to begin their courtship display flights. At 6:35 pm,
just after I got out of my car, I heard 2 birds peenting, and 1 flew just
over my head and was visible for about 15 seconds before it got too high in
the air. Actually Kyle Carlsen and Mollee Brown had found 3 birds there on
Feb. 18, and past years have eBird records from Feb. 18-23, so they are
right on schedule.

Terry Bronson
Morgantown, WV
Join us on Facebook!