Date: 2/20/18 7:24 am
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: ASCA Field Trip Schedule
Mark your calendars!  See below for information about the next three months of field trips sponsored by the Audubon Society of Central Arkansas (ASCA).  You don't have to be a member of ASCA to participate in the field trips.  We welcome anyone who likes birds, people, and being outside enjoying nature.  If you have any questions please feel free to email me off-list.  For more information about our organization go to HollidayASCA Field Trip Coordinator
March 24Delta Rivers Nature Center, Lake Saracen, Wilbur West Rd.Pine Bluff, Jefferson CountyMeet at 7:00 the Dixon Road commuter lot, Exit 3 off I-530 South.  We’ll arrive at the Delta Rivers Nature Centeraround 8:00 a.m. for those who want to meet us there.  The area has diverse habitats which includecypress and tupelo swamps, open water, and wetlands.  Early migrants, wrens, egrets, and herons willbe our main targets.  Walking is moderateon paved trails.  Bring water and snacks,the trip can last into the afternoon. Participants are welcome to leave at any time.Directions—FromLittle Rock, take I-530 south to Pine Bluff going 35 miles until I-530 becomesHwy. 65B (Exit 35).  Go 6 miles,continuing past Lake Saracen (Lake Pine Bluff). Turn left onto Regional Park Drive. (Convention Center Dr.).  Continueon Regional Park Drive approximately 1.2 miles. Turn right onto Black Dog Road. Follow signs to the Nature Center. Website is www.deltarivers.comApril 21Craighead Forest Park & Crowley’s Ridge NatureCenter Jonesboro, Craighead CountyMeet at 6:00 North Little Rock on the east side of the Other Center parking lot behindMcDonald’s.  The Other Center is locatedacross from McCain Mall, on McCain Blvd. Take Exit 1 West, off Hwy. 67/167. We’ll arrive at Craighead Forest Park around 8:15 a.m. for those whowant to meet us there.  Experience the 200-mile Crowley’sRidge, a unique piece of North American topography.  The combination of wooded areas, a lake, andopen fields provides a variety of habitats which attract an eclectic mix ofbirds such as migrating warblers, tanagers, grosbeaks, vireos, andflycatchers.  We’ll also walk the NatureCenter’s trail and check their colorful blooming gardens, whichattract numerous butterflies and other insects.Moderate walking will be on dirt and pavedtrails.  Bathrooms are available in the Park at Centennial RotaryPark at the end of Access Rd. #5 and also at the Nature Center.  This will be an all-day trip.  Bring water, snacks and lunch. Directions—from North Little Rock take US67/167 north 100 miles to Exit 102, then go east on Hwy. 226 for 30 miles, then4 miles east on I-49.  Exit right atChristian Valley Rd.  Go 2 miles toCulberhouse St. and turn left.  Go 1 mileand turn right onto Forest Park Dr.  GPScoordinates for the Park are 35.774865, -90.702296.  It is a two-hour drive from North LittleRock May 12Gillam Park and the Little Rock Audubon Center (LRAC)Little Rock, Pulaski County May 12th isInternational Migratory Bird Day (IMBD). Celebrate the spring migration of birds moving from their wintering sitesto their summer nesting grounds by joining our field trip.  It will be a great day to be outside innature!  This bird walk doubles as a BirdLRBirdathon team, a new concept in fundraising on behalf of Audubon Arkansas(read more on page XX).  ASCA hasmade a pledge based on the number of species seen.  Anyone can donate to ASCA’s team by going to Meet at 7:00 a.m. in GillamPark at the last parking lot past the swimming pool.  Gillam has great habitat for spring warblersand other migrants.  There will bemoderate walking on fairly level, but possibly muddy trails.  When finished at Gillam, we’ll drive to theLRAC and walk the wildlife observation trail. Last, we’ll head to Industrial Harbor Road and Terry Lock & Dam tolook for Western Kingbirds and Painted Buntings.  Bring water and snacks, the trip can lastinto the early afternoon.  Wear sturdywalking shoes or hiking boots.  Directions—GillamPark is in southeast Little Rock near the airport.  Address is 5300 Gillam Park Road, LittleRock.  Take I-30 West heading south fromLittle Rock.  Then exit onto I-440 goingtowards the airport.  Take Exit1-Springer Road.  At the bottom of theexit ramp, turn left onto Springer Road. Go approximately 1 mile to just past the LRAC.  Turn right onto Gillam Park Road.  Follow it into the park to the last parkinglot past the swimming pool.

Join us on Facebook!