Date: 2/20/18 6:07 am
From: Sheridan Samano <sheridan...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: Info for White-tailed Ptarmigan
Hi Kirk,

It's true that the road all the way to Guanella Pass Summit is closed in
winter requiring a hike of about 1.5-2 miles to the starting point for
ptarmigan searches. Since you're traveling with kids, it's probably not
the best option since it typically takes a couple of hours of hiking
without looking for the birds. I've only seen ptarmigan on 50% of my
outings so not guaranteed. Wind can also be a major factor at those
elevations. If Loveland Pass is open the day you drive, there are reports
of seeing ptarmigan near the pullouts along the pass. That might be a
better option with the kids. Happy Birding!

On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 7:20:18 PM UTC-7, <kirkh......> wrote:

> Hello Colorado birders,
> I'm visiting Colorado this week and I am hoping to see White-tailed
> Ptarmigan. On Thursday, I'll be driving from Denver to Snowmass. I've come
> across Guanella Pass as being a good spot to search for them, but it looks
> like the road to the pass is closed. Is that true? I'll have a my young
> kids with me, so a long trek through the snow isn't in the cards for this
> trip. If I can't get to Guanella Pass is there another location along
> Highway 70 where I could search for them? Thanks for your help!
> Kirk Hardie
> Incline Village, NV

To view this discussion on the web visit<f68e11c4-4084-40e5-8218-f3fe374d7e3e...>
For more options, visit

Join us on Facebook!