Date: 2/19/18 1:01 pm
From: Joseph C. Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Woodcock field trip near Fayetteville this Saturday evening
American Woodcocks are on the move, as you can see from Judy Griffith’s observations for Ninestone Land Trust in Carroll County. Everyone welcome and invited to join members and friends of Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society for the woodcock trip this weekend. No experience necessary!

Saturday EVENING February 24, 2018. American Woodcock field trip to Lake Wedington WMA in the Ozark NF west of Fayetteville. Meet at 5:30 PM (need to be on time). Field trip led by woodcock expert Dr David Krementz UA-Fayetteville who will tell us a lot about woodcocks at the parking site. The 15,000 acre Wedington Unit is designated as an Urban Forest. Consider a flashlight, don’t wear bright clothes, walking shoes ok. We will wait for the woodcock displays to begin near and shortly after sunset. Also, lots of other birds are in the area to enjoy during the wait. Overall, this should be a fairly easy trip, including those with walking impairments. The woodcock displays should be viewable/audible near where we park. If you need more information can also call 479 521 1858. DIRECTIONS: We are going to same fields as last year, on the south side of Highway 16 and west of the lake. From the main entrance to Lake Wedington Recreation Area, travel west on Highway 16 for 1.9 miles. The parking area is directly across from a barn with a metal roof that is in disrepair and a 2-story house (GPS: 36 05 58.34 N and 94 24 30.94 W). If this doesn’t fit your schedule: woodcocks dance in many open fields, including those at Lake Fayetteville. In recent years, woodcocks have displayed immediately WEST of the Environmental Study Center and on the disk golf course.

Join us on Facebook!