Date: 2/19/18 9:24 am
From: Rick Bowes <rbowes...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 2/8 Jenney Pond - odd Mallard - consensus
Thanks for everyone's comments on the odd Mallard I posted from Jenney Pond.
The verdict is solidly in favor of it being just what it looked like - a
Mallard with rusty sides. While several people wondered about hybrids as I
did, the lack of any other Wigeon or Shoveler characteristics other than the
flank pigmentation led most to the non-hybrid verdict. No one volunteered a
rationale for how it happens to look that way - especially so symmetrically
- i.e., not a stain, etc. So this one goes onto my "head-scratchers" list.
Thanks for the feedback.

Rick Bowes, Duxbury, MA

<mailto:<rbowes...> <rbowes...>

Duxbury Beach info at: