Date: 2/19/18 7:06 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: American Robin migration
We have a normal complement here of Robins that I think will be breeders.
Just a few and chortling. This Is Not Unusual here. What was unusual
happened about 15 years ago. I worked downtown and went by the Schnitzer
Auditorium on my way back and forth to work
There was a recently fledged juvenile Robin with a very short tail in that
area. So that Robin pair had nested in an urban heat island in early
I only saw that once over a period of30 years

On Monday, February 19, 2018, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
> I've lived just inside the Coast Range forest for 25 years, 25miles
> nw of Portland. I notice that Robins cease to be present here in
> late October and reappear in late February. I used to think it was
> an extremely local event. Then some posts on Obol a year or two
> ago made me realize it is all over the NW . In 2002 I drove to Wallowa
> Lake at this time of year and spent the weekend there. There were
> Robins there, simultaneous to my home 350 miles to the west.
> There was a Robin at our house one day in January this year,
> but today (2/19) there is plenty of snow. lpn
> On Feb 19, 2018, at 12:15 AM, Nathaniel Wander wrote:
> I too noticed robins on my NW Portland patch this afternoon for the first
time since fall.
> I'm not sure exactly how this works out in terms of who ends up breeding
where, but I believe that American Robins are leap-frog migrators. That is
to say, northernmost populations over-leap middle latitude ones in to
travel to their wintering grounds and middle-latitude breeders similarly
over-leap the most southerly breeders.
> Nathaniel Wander
> Portland, OR
> Max Planck is supposed to have said:
> A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and
> making them see the light, but rather because its opponents
eventually die
> and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
> Andreas Wagner observed of Planck's remark:
> Science, like nature, advances one funeral at a time. (Arrival of the
Fittest, p.197)

Join us on Facebook!