Date: 2/18/18 10:11 pm
From: Dottie Boyles <ctboyles...>
Subject: Looney Day
Mom and I made a run out to Lake Maumelle Sunday morning to get our "loon"
fix. This was our third trip since January to the lake to see loons.

Our first trip resulted in zero. The second trip we barely saw one (and it
was a really bad view), and this was after Dan Scheiman reported 30 the day
before! On both occasions we made all the stops from Jolly Rogers Marina to
Vista Point.

Today our loon luck was with us. A stop at Loon Point yielded 1 Common Loon,
at the Hundley Road stop we had a close-up view of the Red-throated Loon
that hangs out there, and finally at Vista View we found 5 Common Loons.
Also at Vista we spotted several Pied-billed and Horned Grebes, and a large
raft of Buffleheads. We didn't spend much time at Loon Point, because the
wind coming off the water was quite cold and neither of us were dressed for
the wind chill. There may have been more loons out there but they were
hidden in the waves.

We both feel like we've seen loons now. Never had to work so hard to find
them before.

Little Rock

Join us on Facebook!