Date: 2/18/18 7:33 pm
From: Karen Holliday <ladyhawke1...>
Subject: GBBC continues
blockquote, div.yahoo_quoted { margin-left: 0 !important; border-left:1px #715FFA solid !important; padding-left:1ex !important; background-color:white !important; } Randy Robinson, Bob Harden and I made a big loop today, Sunday, starting from Little Rock trying to add birds to the Great Backyard Bird Count.  Our first stop was Magness Lake. Saw lots of Ring-necked Ducks, 8 Trumpeter Swans, Mallards, Pied-billed Grebes, and 4 female Common Mergansers.  At the two Hiram Ponds we found about 60 Trumpeter Swans and one Tundra Swan.  There were also 6 Snow Geese, 3 Wood Ducks,  2 female Hooded Mergansers, a few Mallards, one Greater White-fronted Goose and a Lincoln's Sparrow.  Next stop was Possum Grape and the Rough-legged Hawk is still there.  We saw it fly to various trees, land then move to additional sites.  The Northern Harriers did not like having it in the area and tried to harass it.  The Rough-legged Hawk was not intimidated and continue to do his own thing.  Lots of Red-tailed Hawks and a couple Bald Eagles were also seen. Last stop was Bald Knob NWR.  The Refuge won't open until March 1st.  Right now you can only go as far as the grain bins and down the Ditch 13 Road area. We found two flocks of Snow Geese and Greater-white Fronted Geese resting on the ground with large numbers of Northern Pintails, Green-winged Teal, Mallards, Gadwalls, and Northern Shovelers. We headed back to Little Rock as it started to mist rain late in the afternoon. A very enjoyable day!
Karen HollidayMaumelle

Join us on Facebook!