Date: 2/18/18 5:51 pm
From: David Irons <LLSDIRONS...>
Subject: [obol] Re: robins

Most western Oregon birders probably don't much think of American Robins as spring migrants since they are residents and common year-around, but there is almost always a perceptible movement through the Willamette Valley in mid-to-late February. About a decade ago (when I was still living in Eugene), I spent a late Feb. day birding up north of Eugene between Coburg and Halsey. As I drove the country roads the fence lines, short-grass fields and tilled fields were essentially carpeted with American Robins. I saw thousands that day. There was no weather event that precipitated this incursion. As chance would have it, we were in Eugene earlier today visiting with the Heyerlys. There were robins all over their neighborhood, enough so that Dan mentioned the influx, which gave me reason to share the story told above. We've also been seeing more robins in our Beaverton neighborhood for the last week or so.

Dave Irons

Beaverton, OR