Date: 2/18/18 11:06 am
From: Larry Meade via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Dyke Marsh, Feb 18, 2018

Eight birders came out for a pleasant walk at Dyke Marsh. These Friends of Dyke Marsh sponsored walks are held every Sunday morning at 8:00 AM and are free and open to all. The morning started out a bit gray and cool, but the sun eventually appeared and warmed us up. We noticed that there has been a decline in waterfowl in both numbers and diversity which kept our count to 47 species this week. Both pairs of Bald Eagles were tending to their business as we observed that both the nest on Haul Road and the one at Tulane Drive were occupied. We also encountered a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers along Haul Road which were flying around not too far from what appeared to be a decent sized nest hole. With woodpeckers, however, it's hard to say, especially this early. The birds might only be utilizing this hole for shelter or for stashing food. Thanks to Larry Cartwright and Sherman Suter who helped out and also observed a Rusty Blackbird shortly before the official start time for the

Larry Meade
Merrifield, VA

Dyke Marsh, Fairfax, Virginia, US
Feb 18, 2018 8:00 AM - 11:05 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
47 species

Canada Goose 1750
Mallard 60
Ring-necked Duck 30
Lesser Scaup 75
Hooded Merganser 5
Common Merganser 60
Red-breasted Merganser 7
Pied-billed Grebe 4
Double-crested Cormorant 24
Great Blue Heron 5
Turkey Vulture 1
Bald Eagle 4 2 adult pairs near nests.
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 juvenile
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Coot 23
Ring-billed Gull 115
Herring Gull 6
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 5
Mourning Dove 8
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 6
Downy Woodpecker 6
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 4
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 8
American Crow 1
Fish Crow 12
Carolina Chickadee 16
Tufted Titmouse 7
White-breasted Nuthatch 2
Carolina Wren 12
Golden-crowned Kinglet 4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
American Robin 20
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 7
Dark-eyed Junco 4
White-throated Sparrow 40
Song Sparrow 23
Swamp Sparrow 11
Northern Cardinal 20
Red-winged Blackbird 130
Rusty Blackbird 1
House Finch 4
American Goldfinch 3
House Sparrow 6

View this checklist online at

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (