Date: 2/17/18 11:59 am
From: Dixie Sommers via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Bald Eagle "cauldron" at Mason Neck SP, Fairfax County
Eleven birders on the Northern Virginia Bird Club walk this morning were
awed by not a kettle but a virtual cauldron of 13 Bald Eagles circling
overhead at Mason Neck State Park. While the park and adjacent Elizabeth
Hartwell NWR are well known for eagles, seeing so many circling overhead,
adults and immatures, was indeed amazing.

We also scoped Belmont Bay and walked the Bay View Trail, with a total of 53
species. Waterfowl were in good numbers and diversity, although not high
numbers seen earlier this month Passerines were somewhat quiet, but we were
pleased to find a Hermit Thrush on the trail. A pair of early Wood Ducks was
glimpsed at the observation blind and then "ducked" out of sight.

Northern Virginia Bird Club walks are listed at Come join
us on a walk!

Mason Neck SP--Visitors Center, Fairfax, Virginia, US Feb 17, 2018 8:26 AM -
10:36 AM

Protocol: Traveling

1.3 mile(s)

Comments: Visitor Center scanning Belmont Bay, and hike on Bayside Trail

53 species

Canada Goose 34

Tundra Swan 9

Wood Duck 2