Date: 2/16/18 3:11 pm
From: Gabriel Mapel via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Brewer's & Rusty Blackbirds, Peregrine Falcon & more (Augusta County)
Hi all,I headed out this afternoon to do some birding around Augusta County and it turned out to be a very productive afternoon.
My first stop was McCune's Pond (private property near Fishersville) where I had 38 Gadwall and 16 Northern Pintails.  Next I stopped at the Fishersville Quarry where I had 8 GW Teal, 9 Redheads and 8 Coots.  Along Guthrie Road I had 10 Horned Larks and a flock of 75 Common Grackles also containing 2 RW Blackbirds, 5 Cowbirds and 2 Rusty Blackbirds.
From Guthrie Rd I headed west towards Swoope traveling some back roads along the way.  I didn't find anything of note until I got to Mish Barn Rd.  At the first farm on the south side of Mish Barn Rd east of Glebe School Rd there are some feed lots for cattle.  Here there was a mixed blackbird flock including 150 Starlings, 20 RW Blackbirds, 40 Cowbirds and the highlight of the day, 2 Brewer's Blackbirds (a male and female).
I finished out my outing up in Swoope with 37 species including highlights: 4 Wood Ducks (Hope Lake at the Boy Scout Camp), 10 Gadwall and 22 GW Teal (Smith Lake, private property), 1 adult Bald Eagle sitting on the nest, 1 Red-headed Woodpecker, an immature Peregrine Falcon along Trimbles Mill Rd, 15 Horned Larks, 1 Am. Tree Sparrow (continuing bird found by Marshall Faintich at Smith Lake, private property), 18 Field & 2 Savannah Sparrows and 55 Cowbirds.
Good Birding,Gabriel MapelNew Hope