Date: 2/16/18 6:16 am
From: Madeleine Linck <madeleine.linck...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Bluebird conservation
Having worked with bluebird trails for many years in the Midwest, I just
want to add that it is important to mount all nest boxes on predator proof
poles. I have had good success with 1/2 inch conduit pipe set over rebar.
Boxes should never be placed on wooden fences, posts and the like giving
easy access to predators. Also, I feel it is important not to over load a
field with too many boxes since bluebirds are territorial and seem to be
less aggressive than tree swallows and house wrens. Finally, anyone who
maintains nest boxes must be prepared to monitor for the invasive and very
aggressive house sparrow. Not to do so is a real disservice to the

Happy bluebirding!

Madeleine Linck
Rehoboth, Mass

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 7:21 AM, Peter Trull <petrull...> wrote:

> Massbirders,
> I am working on my last batch of free bluebird boxes to anyone who wants
> one. Eastern Bluebirds will be pair forming and nest building in early
> April, with first eggs being dropped around the 18 to 22 of April, maybe
> sooner. My Proctor boxes get birds, they are free and if you just pay
> postage I’ll send you one. They are spread out across the state. Contact me.
> Peter Trull
> Brewster,
> <petrull...>

Join us on Facebook!