Date: 2/15/18 4:14 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Cape Ann - 2/14 - Brookline Bird Club trip
Yesterday the Brookline Bird Club trip to Cape Ann visited several
spots.  Weather got warmer and clearer as the day progressed.

At Plum Cove,  we saw 2 Brandt, various seabirds, but did not find
Barrow's Goldeneye.

During quick stop at Folly Cove we were rewarded by a mature Bald Eagle
over the highland. A group of 22 Purple Sandpipers were seen.

At Andrews Point, we ran into Jared Keyes, who told us he'd had great
looks at a Dovekie that eventually flew south.  We spent quite a bit of
time there, and along with the usual ducks highlights included:

2 Thick-billed Murre

2 Dovekie (one close to shore, long leisurely looks)

2 Razorbill

1 Iceland Gull

1 Black-legged Kittiwake (sitting on the water)

Lots of Common Eider, Surf, Black and White-winged Scoters and Harlequin
Ducks (about 80 seen during the day).

Several groups of alcids flew by too far out to identify.

At the Elks Club (Bass Rocks), highlights included 1 Horned Grebe, 1
Red-necked Grebe, 3 Black Guillemots, and 1 Thick-billed Murre (with a
possible second far out).  We did not see the King Eider, which had been
reported the past several days.

Long-tailed Ducks and Common Loons were at multiple locations.

We also ran into a birder who thought she'd seen a Gyrfalcon at Loblolly
Cove/Thacher Island and was submitting her photos along for identification.

It was a lovely day to be out and leisurely observe these wonderful
birds in mild weather!

Barbara Volkle

Northborough, MA

Join us on Facebook!