Date: 2/15/18 12:29 pm
From: Dave Leibert <xdave...>
Subject: Re: NJ Gyr yes!
Howdy All,
Persistence has paid off wrt to the Oberly road gyrfalcon.

Earlier today I noticed the snow geese across in the field across Oberly
from the grasslands started to scatter. A large falcon had dingled out
one of them and was chasing it pretty close to the ground.

They flew across Oberly towards the farm. I drove down snyder road
towards the rver and noticed a snow goose on the ground on the big hill.
The gyr was sitting on top of a telephone pole on Snyder and my car was
parked pretty close. Great view of this bird, which was dark brown in

One of the quarry trucks went by and the bird flew off. Back up by the
Oberly and Snyder intersection other birders pointed out that the gyr
was now sitting on the roof of the farmers house. We watched it for a
few minutes and it flew off.

I also had a kestrel there and a merlin on the Alpha water tower. Now I
am heading towards Bethlehem to see if I can get a look at one of the
Bethlehem peregrines to make it a 4 falcon species day!

Happy Birding,
Join us on Facebook!