Date: 2/15/18 11:30 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Back yard birds
Hi everyone, I'm a long time reader here, but rarely post. Apparently I have an issue with my back yard bird feeding, and I'm hoping someone here can help. I've been feeding for many many years. I have 4 feeders, some with seed mixtures and some with sunflower/safflower. I also have 2 suet feeders, and then I have a couple of feeders in the front.
On December 10th, all of the bird stopped coming to the feeders. I though there was a hawk, but nope. We have a large deer population and they were the only ones eating the seed. I started to bring the feeders in each night, but the birds will not come back to them when I put them out.
About 4 weeks ago I bought a big new tube feeder and put the sunflower/safflower mix in it. The first day, it was covered with every kind of bird imaginable...cardinals, lots of house finches, chickadees, titmouse, dark eyed juno, blue Jay's, house sparrows, etc. All day! That night I left that feeder outside, thinking that the deer wouldn't be able to get at the seed, but I was wrong. Seed was down about 4" by morning, and now the birds will not come back to it.
I see and hear the birds everywhere in the yard, but not one of them will come to any of the feeders, except the woodpeckers, who still eat the suet.
My question is, does deer slobber repel birds from a feeder? This is the strangest thing I've ever seen, and it's lonely. At this point I'd be happy to see a house sparrow or a starling!
I'm sorry for the length if this post. Thanks for any info.
KathyBy the lake in Webster