Date: 2/15/18 9:08 am
From: Jim Berry <jim.berry3...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Weekly survey at Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge February 15, 2018
Maryellen and all --  Regarding your ratio of chickadees to titmice (8
to 11), do you have ready data on that ratio and how it has changed over
the last 20 years or so?  I have noticed here in essex county that i'm
often seeing or hearing as many titmice as chickadees, often more so.
Up thru the 90s that was rarely the case--chickadees always dominated in
numbers.  I'm interested in anyone's response on this changing ratio--it
would made an interesting thread, for sure.

And the answer to your question is no, you don't dare hope spring is
just around the corner!  It's at least 5 weeks away on the calendar and
in reality.  In my experience the first half of march is normally
brutally cold. It is only the latter (spring) half that brings the
month's average temps up higher than those in jan-feb.    cheers,    jim

On 2/15/2018 11:27 AM, Maryellen Stone wrote:
> Great Meadows National Wildlife Refuge, Concord US-MA (42.4752,-71.3296), Middlesex, Massachusetts, US
> Feb 15, 2018 6:23 AM - 9:47 AM
> Protocol: Traveling
> 2.766 mile(s)
> Comments: Weekly survey by NFWS volunteers, Dick, Audrey, Kevin, Bob, Will and Maryellen. What a difference a week makes! Last week the driveway and entrance road were covered in ice, this week we started with 37° and ended at 45°. Nice to hear the spring songs of Tufted Titmice, Northern Cardinals, and the return of Red-winged Blackbirds, also singing! Dare we hope Spring is just around the corner?
> 25 species
> Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 104
> Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 10
> Northern Pintail (Anas acuta) 7 Flyover going west, all 7 birds seen well by all. All 7 were males, unmistakably Northern Pintails.
> Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus) 2
> Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) 10 4 t 5
> Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 2
> Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 1
> Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1
> Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus) 2
> Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens) 4
> Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 1
> American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 8
> Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 8
> Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor) 11
> White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis) 4
> Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa) 2
> Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis) 3
> American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 1
> American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea) 1
> Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 3
> Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 2
> Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) 12 Spring call
> Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 4 All 4 birds together well seen. Photo of three of four.
> American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 3
> House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 4
> View this checklist online at
> Maryellen Stone