Date: 2/14/18 4:41 pm
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] 2/14/18 Doran and townline rd - one surprise
I went to Doran and Townline rd for the first time in 2 years hoping to see Short-eared owls as this use to be a great place for them. I was there from 4:30 pm until 6 pm and no short-eared owls. I did have two female and one male Harrier that were very active for about 1/2 hour. The surprise happened when I left Townline Rd . I went from Doran to 5 & 20 , turning west . It was getting dark , I was going 60 mph due to a lot of traffick but my eye caught a bird on top of an electric pole. I passed by of course but turned around as soon as I could and was able to get my car completely off the road onto the shoulder and much to my surprise it was a Snowy Owl. This was the first Snowy Owl I found on my own and the first one I was able to photograph from the car. So, I was very pleased with my outing and am sad that their were no short -eared owls and I have not heard of any sightings from there so I am thinking maybe they have abandoned that area .

Kathleen Dalton