Date: 2/14/18 11:14 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Finally Something Different At The Chicago Botanic Garden Wed 2-14-18
Hello Bird People,

Although I am birding again I find that I don't have enough stamina to
go for very long nor fight through the snow so I decided to just go to
the Botanic Garden where the snow is plowed. Still got tired after 2
hours but was able to cover what I wanted to. Pretty much just Winter
birds but there was one new diving duck at the open water area & a
really big surprise came flying by from north
to south. From a distance it looked like a goose or heron but when it
arrived I saw that it was a
SANDHILL CRANE which, unfortunately, did not call. Usually have to
wait until March for that guy.
Here's my day list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (9-11 a.m.)

Canada Goose (88)
Mallard (134)
REDHEAD (1-M)
Coots (2)
(All the above were at the Dundee Rd bridge open water area but no
Great Blue today.)
SANDHILL CRANE (1 flying by)
Mourning Dove (1)
Chickadee (6)
R.B. Nuthatch (1)
Robins (4)
Junco (4)
House Finch (2 singing)
Common Redpoll (10-12, way down from previous counts so maybe they are leaving?)
Pine Siskin (2)
House Sparrow (6)

So nothing special except for the Crane with just regular winter stuff around.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the early Sandhill Crane & Runner-Up to the Redhead Duck.

Al Stokie
Close to home in Cook County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: