Date: 2/13/18 9:47 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Turkey Vulture and Raven?
*

There's two hills at Finley NWR , Pigeon Butte and Maple Knoll. They have long, even south facing slopes that are steep enough to create a good updraft when the wind is out of the south. Several times this winter I have seen young Bald Eagles enjoying this free lift, often two or more fly in synchrony at close quarters. This series of hills continues west, masked by timber. One such slope is west of Bellfountain Road and had Christmas trees on its lower flanks in 1977 when I was working there in September. The upper, steeper slope was tall second growth Douglas-fir with scattered, very tall old-growth. A Raven was amusing itself there every windy afternoon. Once it got a Red-tailed Hawk to join the fun and they went back and forth between the tall, old-growth firs. Another day a Turkey Vulture did the same thing. I'm pretty sure it traded off following and leading with the Raven. A Turkey Vulture can be quite frisky with a favorable wind. It genuinely wove through the trees(10s of meters apart) like a slalom course. lpn
On Feb 13, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Tim wrote:

> Saw my first two Turkey Vultures of the year out around North Bay drive in North Bend. Not a staggering find but one of them was soaring with a Raven. No fighting or antagonistic behavior at all. They were simply soaring large circles together. An interesting pairing I can honestly say I've never seen before. Fun to watch.

Join us on Facebook!