Date: 2/13/18 9:11 pm
From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor...>
Subject: [texbirds] White-winged Scoter, Nueces Bay, Corpus Christi
Hi all -
While birding along the Joe Fulton Trade Corridor highway, I found a sleeping White-winged Scoter in amongst a fairly large group of ducks - mostly Lesser Scaup, with a few Redheads mixed in to give a little variety. It was about 200 - 250 yards from the road, easily seen with a spotting scope, but a little tricky to ID with just a binocular.

I waited with camera on scope for over 30 minutes, but it never raised its head for a full-body and head shot. I took numerous photos of the all-dark body with the white patch far down the wing. At one time, the wind blew it around so I got a photo of it from directly behind, showing both white patches, looking like "tail lights". I posted the photos to my instaGram account (@claytaylorbirder) and FaceBook page (Clayton Taylor).

The flock was just off the road by the area near the large piles of bright yellow (sulfur?). Make sure you pull fully off the road - the truck traffic does not slow down for birders.

New Texas bird for me!!!

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
<Clay.taylor...><mailto:<Clay.taylor...>
401-965-9064

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner

Join us on Facebook!