Date: 2/13/18 7:43 pm
From: 'Tony Brake' <tonybrake...> [EBB_Sightings] <EBB_Sightings-noreply...>
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Herring spawn. gulls at San Pablo Peninsula
There was herring spawning over the past couple of days between Pt. Richmond
and Pt. San Pablo https://cdfwherring.wordpress.com/ The spawning seemed to
be primarily on subtidal vegetation, so that the birds taking advantage were
mainly offshore. The herring are likely still in the area, since thousands
of cormorants remained between Castro Rocks and Castro Point on each side of
the Richmond-San Rafael Bridge. When I drove past around noon the gulls were
mainly offshore or roosting on the piers, with the exception of Mew Gulls
feeding along the shoreline in a couple of spots, likely feeding on eggs
that had washed ashore. However, when I was returning about 3 PM, the tide
was very low and thousands of gulls were now feeding along the shoreline as
the eelgrass was being exposed. This area can be reached by taking the
Stenmark exit from 580 and continuing past the beach park to the area of the
second pier. Access is possible at the following location: 37.955789,
-122.422278

Also, there were two LONG-TAILED DUCKS among the large groups of Surf
Scoters to the north of Pt. San Pablo. They could be viewed from along the
road heading over the hill to the Pt. San Pablo Harbor. There is a turnout
shortly past the large tanks near the high point. 37.963766, -122.422792.
They were possibly a first winter male and a female. A poor digi-scoped
photo is here: https://tonybrake.smugmug.com/Nature/Rarities/i-JN4hcb5/A

Join us on Facebook!