Date: 2/13/18 2:35 pm
From: Warblerick <ricksussman1955...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: What to do when you see someone behaving badly...
On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 5:11:15 PM UTC-5, Steve Ferendo, Frederick, MD wrote:
> This article is from the snowy irruption that we has in 2014 It is probably the most effective way to deal with these folks:
>
> http://naturalworldthroughmycamera.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-to-make-snowy-owl-fly-sad-tutorial.html

While that's a good start to the problem, it really doesn't address the issue as you raised it in your subject line. The article only documented bad behavior, it didn't address what to do when you see it.

Perhaps you saw Stephanie Lovell's post to the MD Birding Facebook page yesterday, which also told of the newly banded SNOW Sinepuxent being harassed by two photographers (with long lenses no less) and another individual trying to get a picture with a cell phone. They basically surrounded the bird until it had enough and flew off heading into Delaware. And this was witnessed by Steve Huy, who banded the bird!

So, I'd be interested to hear what exactly one does when seeing this sort of behavior. Use it as a teaching moment? Lose your temper and scream at them (something I might be tempted to do)? Document it with photos and post it to some social media site, hoping it somehow helps?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Rick Sussman
Woodbine, MD