Date: 2/13/18 1:03 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Diamond Hill wetland--what is this beast?
Anyone know the legal status of Diamond Hill Drive wetland in Linn
County? Is it an "easement" or "mitigation" wetland, or another entity?
I know it is private land and have long assumed some federal program
paid for its (presumably) permanent conversion. I'm guessing there are
similar places in Marion County that I read about often, but have never
been to. Short-eared Owl watching was excellent this Sunday(2/11/18)
around 4pm. There were about 10 individuals in view at once--high overhead,
bobbing across the road at eye level, perched on ploughed ground (as I
would expect) and best of all perched in small trees, as Rough-legged
Hawks do. I don't recall seeing SEOW do this before. It allowed for leisurely
detailed scoping. One owl remained perched on the same small tree the
whole time we were there, 15-20 minutes. Lars

Join us on Facebook!