Date: 2/13/18 12:43 pm
From: Oakes Plimpton <opoakes...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Great Meadows NWLR
Folks: Ventured out to Concord today with Pat. Spied a Turkey Vulture’s V just getting on Route Two off of Park! The Refuge was frozen and barren. Odd sign on the BB quote: Blue Birds in place.
Quite a few Crows out on the ice. What were they looking for?? Muscrat houses, one large enough to be a Beaver lodge! Flock of Canada Geese swimming in the Concord River. Then soaring over the marsh, actually mostly flying in circles (must have been too cold for updrafts) probably a male Red-tail. Red tail. We had a Sharp-shinned Hawk kill and consume a Mockingbird (favorite winter bird) last winter, the hawk hardly larger than the Mockingbird. We did not see the strike. Took it a whole hour to consume it! Even reddish streaks on its chest. I just read Mockingbirds attack Rattlesnakes in the southwest! Many more birds than Concord attending out feeders in our side yard today. . . .
Birder Oakes

Join us on Facebook!