Date: 2/13/18 12:38 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: Re: [MDBirding] Re: Snowy Owl just across state line in WV
On 2/13/18, Rob Hilton <rob.hilton.2010...> wrote:
> This eBird checklist has a caution about staying
> on the road and not walking on to private property for any reason
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42706137

> It was seen [Monday] @1310
***********************
On Monday @1530ish the owl had not returned - individuals in several
cars were scouting for it at that time.

Currie Rd is an exit off of the interstate like RT 9 in WVA north of
Charlestown. Turn toward Ranson and then keep straight ahead onto the
more rural Currie Rd, which appears at first to be a dead end, but
isn't. Traffic was very light; the road is narrow but has plenty of
room for people to get around you when you are going slow with
blinkers on as I was. My blinkers caused one motorist to stop to ask
if I needed help and another slowed to ask what was up and was
satisfied with the answer: "Looking for a white owl." At the south
end there is a nearby church parking lot that's useful for turning
around except on times of Sunday service. Turning around at the
northern end might be least intrusive by going almost to War Admiral
Rd to accomplish.

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County MD
M.O.S. member, Washington [WA] Co Chapter