Date: 2/13/18 12:27 pm
From: <robbo50...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Reappearance of Ocean Beach Snowy Plovers and Western GG Park observations
This morning while doing my weekly beach/park patrol I counted 31 Snowy Plovers on Ocean Beach between Lawton and Irving after a two week absence. Possibly the big tides at the end of January disturbed their usual roosting spot around the end of Irving.

The goose flock was present at the Polo Fields with the Snow, Ross's and Greater White-fronted Geese. In October my count of Greater White-fronted Geese was up to 15.

Lloyd Lake had ten Hooded Mergansers which included five adult males, four females and one immature male. The annual Ring-necked Duck flock with the Lesser Scaup never made an appearance this year. The removal of some of the vegetation near the lake may have been a factor.

Ended up at the Botanical Garden with the expected birds. The area where the Rufous Hummingbird has been seen was being watered although there were at least a half dozen Allen's in different locations. The Rufous Hummingbird was detected back in September but was not identified with any certainty until Ken Schneider and Lee Hong-Chang got definitive photographs in late October.

Good birding,
Rob Cullison

Join us on Facebook!