Date: 2/13/18 12:22 pm
From: 'Gary & Cindy Olson' <olsonfam...> [sd-birds] <sd-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [sd-birds] Pine Grosbeak & Things
Ben Krueger informed me he saw a Bohemian Waxwing in the Mother Joe Park or Manor Park area recently. I had been seeing many Cedar Waxwing in the area as of late but not the Bohemian. This morning on my way to an appointment I drove past the park and many waxwing's we're feeding in the crab apple's. Figured I always wait on the doctors they can wait for me this morning. So swung back home and got the binoculars. Could not find the Bohemian but did have a nice surprise with a non red Pine Grosbeak. Just the one in with all the waxwings. Hopeful of the Bohemian yet. Other highlight as of late was a Snowy Owl flying thru town a week or so back. For those familiar with Aberdeen he came in from the east along the railroad tracks heading west. Flying from maybe 2 or 3 feet of the ground too up and around 3 story buildings for close to a mile then came to perch on a light pole on the 2nd St. overpass. Thought he was going to get away from me and would have if not for a needed time out on his part. First time I've seen a Snowy Owl in city limits.

Also and this will probably only be newsworthy for NESDBC members who may remember Joel McMaster. Joel wasn't able to attend a lot of outings with us but did make a few. Joel has been battling a cancer for as long as I've known him, which as been several years. He lost that fight this past weekend I'm sorry to report. Joel was a beginning birder and reported his sightings to me as often as he could when feeling up to it. After every outing he told me how much fun he had birding! I was thinking about that the past couple of days as how it seems to me that most of us so called more experienced birders have our lists and reports of successful nesting species and rare and uncommon migration sightings. But Joel had fun birding! While the reporting and science is important I Hope we all remember to have FUN birding!

Gary Olson
Aberdeen

Join us on Facebook!