Date: 2/13/18 9:51 am
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Willamette Lesser Scaup
*

There's a number of invasive fresh water mussels around these days. Are there zebra mussels in Oregon? I think someone suggested this was the scaups' target on the Columbia. Then there's quagga mussels, from the Black Sea maybe. It looked like that's what Goldeneyes were eating in the Snake River in Ontario when I was there last winter. lpn
On Feb 12, 2018, at 10:33 PM, Nathaniel Wander wrote:

> Having been mostly missing for almost two weeks, Lesser Scaup are returning in numbers as of today. There were sixty-odd downstream of the Broadway bridge and two groups of 25+ between the Broadway and the Steel.
>
> Anyone know what they feed on here? Spilled grain from the elevator is clearly feeding Canadas and Mallards--maybe it also acts as fertilizer for plant life around the elevators and hence food for inyertebrates. Scaup do eat vegetation on their breeding grounds, but they feed mostly on mollusks and the like, especially in winter. I read somewhere that, unlike say Canada Geese, scaup don't particular fatten in winter, waiting till they get to their breeding grounds to acquire egg-making resources.
>
> Nathaniel Wander
> Portland, OR
>
> Max Planck is supposed to have said:
> A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and
> making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die
> and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.
> Andreas Wagner observed of Planck's remark:
> Science, like nature, advances one funeral at a time. (Arrival of the Fittest, p.197)

Join us on Facebook!