Date: 2/12/18 8:00 pm
From: Jacob Mathison <jacobmathison1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Saw-whet Suprise
It has been there for at least a week. It has figured something out. I
always see it on the doorknob, and not yet inside, so I'll bet it is
nabbing the mice as they show up for the party. I got a picture tonight:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S42718934. I was careful not to spotlight
it too much. The cutest rodent control out there.

Jacob Mathison
jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography

<http://jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography>
"If you keep a green tree in your heart, perhaps a singing bird will
come." ~Chinese Proverb

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 7:46 PM, Pamela Johnston <shovzan...> wrote:

> My movie reference would have to be Attack of the Giant Shrews, a real
> stinker of a sci-fi story from the 50s. It involves radiation, of
> course, which makes Shrews as big as German Shepherds, only with the
> same need to consume several times their body weight per day.
> AAAIEeeeeee!
>
> I think your owl is after the mice. Larger raptors would be after the
> chickens, but by day. Think Cooper's.
>
> I need some nice little owls around here. The place is dominated by
> Great-horned. We trap several mice per week on the battery of my Honda
> Civic. There is something about Hondas that draws mice.
>
> Pamela Johnston
>
> On 2/7/18, Jacob Mathison <jacobmathison1...> wrote:
> > No, I didn't actually cook a Saw-whet Owl...
> >
> > I was out at about 8:00 this evening going to shut our chickens in for
> the
> > night when a Saw-whet Owl took of from the doorknob of the chicken coop.
> He
> > stayed up in the oak tree beside the coop allowing for amazing views
> with a
> > flashlight. Normally I would think this was just a really really cool
> > coincidence that he was perching on that handle, but this is the second
> > time in a week that he has done that (the first time I almost fell down:
> he
> > almost bowled right into my face!). Here's the thing: there is a GIANT
> > mouse population in that chicken coop (and I mean like twenty mice
> > scattering when I open the door. I'm trying to think up some movie
> > reference...). There is a space in the rafters where he could get in. So
> > could he have realized that he could hunt mice in there? If so, he was
> just
> > sitting on the door in a food coma. That would be some great adaptive
> > raptor behavior (yes, I know he isn't really a raptor raptor). Or did he
> > just perch on the doorknob twice?...
> >
> > Jacob Mathison
> > jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography
> >
> > <http://jacobmathison1.wixsite.com/nature-photography>
> > "If you keep a green tree in your heart, perhaps a singing bird will
> > come." ~Chinese Proverb

Join us on Facebook!