Date: 2/12/18 6:08 pm
From: Alyssa DeRubeis <alderubeis...>
Subject: Any Interest in Texas Hill Country trip this May?
Arkansas birders,

A couple of us from NWA are planning a trip to the beautiful Texas “hill country” this May. Our targets are Black-capped Vireo and Golden-cheeked Warbler, both federally endangered songbirds with small ranges. Read below for more details, then contact me if you’re interested in joining and we can discuss it more.

Where: Lost Maples SNA, which is located west of San Antonio. In addition to both target birds being seen there last spring/summer, their checklist boasts of other goodies like Audubon’s, Scott’s, and Hooded Orioles, Green Kingfisher, Olive Sparrow, Zone-tailed Hawk, Long-billed Thrasher, Bronzed Cowbird, and more. View the eBird list here: https://ebird.org/hotspot/L129016 As an aside, a friend of mine has been to this site and claims it to be one of the most beautiful places he has ever visited! If we are not lucky here, there are some spots we can try on the way back to Arkansas.

When: We’re aiming for a maximum of five days between May 11 and 20, (includes travel days), although I think we were leaning more towards the end of that period.

Number of people: In theory unlimited, assuming that there are enough drivers. Please let me know if you have a car you are willing to carpool with down there, and how many seats it has. Also tell me from what city you’re traveling. Joe Woolbright and I are from Siloam Springs and Fayetteville, respectively.

Everyone is expected to pay for their share of gas, lodging, and food. There is no guide...we’re our own guides on this trip.

Those are all the details for now. Hope you will consider this fun trip! Please reply off-channel as to not inundate others with irrelevant emails.

Alyssa DeRubeis

Join us on Facebook!