Date: 2/12/18 5:03 am
From: RALPH ELDRIDGE <lightrae1...>
Subject: [Maine-birds] MACHIAS SEAL ISLAND REPORT
I returned to the island on Wednesday last but station activities have
kept me from wandering about very much. Except for brief periods, usually
only hours, the ground remains snow free and not completely frozen.

It is apparent that we still have 4-6 SONG SPARROWS surviving. A HORNED
LARK is spending time around the lawns and PURPLE SANDPIPERS can be readily
seen all over the island.
That makes for interesting juxtapositions like the Horned Lark, a Purple
Sandpiper and a Song Sparrow foraging together on our patio or a CATBIRD
chasing along with P. Sandpipers as they search the lawn and boardwalks for
food.
The Catbird just arrived yesterday (Sunday) as doesn't seem to have found
citrus or jelly offerings.

The Purple Sandpipers are almost a nuisance. Just walking between
buildings virtually guarantees encounters with the little buggers. They
tend to run along, keeping just 6-10 feet ahead, protesting loudly about
being interrupted. In true PS style, they are very reluctant to take flight.

The winter compliment of HARLEQUIN DUCKS is still evident and my rough
estimates make me think that the numbers continue on par with earlier
observations and counts from recent years. EIDERS are normal with a few
scattered around.

A couple EAGLES have done fly-bys but air traffic has made it hard for
them to stop and hunt.

Gulls and other water birds are generally at low-normal levels except
that I've seen what might be the first hint of RAZORBILLS spending time
closer to the island.