Date: 2/11/18 6:12 pm
From: J. Acker <owler...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Seattle Audubon "Owls by Night" Field Trip
This morning I met a group of nine owlers as they came across from Seattle
on the last ferry of the night to owl on Bainbridge. With calm winds and
cool temperatures, and despite a barometer in free fall, the group detected
nine owls of three species in less than five hours. While we dipped on Barn
and Great Horned Owls, we did get close encounters with Barred Owls at two
locations, and heard vocalizations from another. Maybe due to the falling
barometer, we did not get to hear barred owls caterwauling, something I
expected. We were treated to many vocalizations and flyovers of saw-whets
owls at several locations, and got a good look at one perched for a few
moments. The highlight of the morning (for me anyway) was a Northern Pygmy
Owl at our last stop that was spontaneously vocalizing when we arrived at a
staked out location. Its presumed mate made a flyby that many in the group
saw, and then a shrill vocalization that I was unfamiliar with.

Barred Owl -3

Northern Saw-whet Owl - 4

Northern Pygmy Owl - 2

It was an enjoyable morning out, and made even better with relatively
cooperative owls and a wonderful group.

Hoots & Toots,

-Jamie

J. Acker