Date: 2/11/18 4:06 pm
From: Ronald- Thorn <Tronthorn...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Pigeon Point seawatch and other recent sightings

Yesterday February 10, Leonie and I stopped at Pigeon Point. There was a north-northwest wind at 10-15 mph. The visibility overall
was good except for some haze at the horizon. There were still large feeding frenzies near the horizon with one group having up to
( 500 ) gulls. The feeding frenzies were all slowly moving north. Following the feeding frenzies were ( 105 ) NORTHERN FULMARS.
A BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER was not associating with the feeding frenzies and was closer to shore. There was a total of
( 8 ) RED PHALAROPES flying south and landing on the water. An adult BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE was flying north. A group
of ( 7 ) Aleutian Cackling Geese were northbound. February usually brings some early northbound shorebirds with ( 2 ) Western
Sandpipers passing by.

Past week sightings

One of the Scarper Peak adult Golden Eagles was noted flying over Highway 92 east of Half Moon Bay.

While watching the gull flock on Upper Crystal Springs Reservoir, the gull flock panic, as an adult Bald Eagle passed low over
the reservoir.

Early morning scanning the gull flock on the reservoir I was surprised to see a large dark-backed adult gull. The upperparts
compared to ( 2 ) adult Western Gulls ( occidentalis ) was a shade darker and was very obvious. I watched the dark-backed
gull bath for over a half hour. The gull showed a number of features that I am very familiar with Slaty-backed Gull, but it was
just to far at a distance to get a photo or get a complete description. All the gulls were coming in from the coast, stopping at the
reservoir and headed off towards San Francisco Bay.

Ron Thorn and Leonie Batkin

Join us on Facebook!