Date: 2/11/18 2:13 pm
From: Marv Breece <marvbreece...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Snohomish Co. Pygmy-Owl

Yesterday (2.10.18) there was a NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL at the end of 220 th St NE in Snohomish County. This is accessed off of 7 th Ave NE off of Pioneer Hwy E, a short distance west of I5. (SE of Silvana)

As I watched this bird it stood straight up and shrunk its body to a diameter much smaller than its unshrunken head . The size of the shrunken body was a fraction of normal. The bird looked very odd! The process took but a few seconds, after which the bird immediately returned to normal dimensions. The bird remained perched in the same place for several minutes after the “shrinking”. Unfortunately, I was not filming at the time. Whether this was concealing or revealing behavior, I cannot say. I was quite distant from the bird. There could easily have been another bird which posed a threat that I did not see.

If anyone reading this has had a similar experience with a Pygmy-Owl I would appreciate hearing about it.

Photos at: http://www.pbase.com/marvbreece/new_images

Videos at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138163614@N02/

Marv Breece
Tukwila, WA